Frequently Asked Questions

To enrol with Howick House Medical you will need to complete a patient registration form and enrolment form. You can download them from the Enrolment page.

Once the forms are completed you will need to return them to reception. The forms ask for details such as name, age, date of birth, address and ethnicity.

The information collected when you enrol is protected by the Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994.

A medical centre can enrol any person who meets the criteria decided on by The Ministry of Health. The criteria are:

  • A person is fully eligible and entitled to be enrolled in a PHO if he/she is residing in New Zealand and:
  • Is a New Zealand citizen OR
  • Holds a resident visa or a permanent resident visa (or a residence permit if issued before December 2010) OR
  • Is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident AND has been in New Zealand or intends to stay in New Zealand for at least 2 consecutive years. OR
  • Has a work visa/permit and is able to show that he/she is able to be in New Zealand for at least 2 years (previous permits included) OR
  • Is an interim visa holder who was eligible immediately before their interim visa started OR
  • Is a refugee or protected person OR is in the process of applying for, or appealing refugee or protection status, OR is a victim or suspected victim of people trafficking OR
  • Is under 18 years and in the care and control of a parent/legal guardian/adopting parent who meets one criterion in the clauses above OR
  • 18 or 19 years and can demonstrate that on the 15 April 2011, I was the dependant of an eligible work permit holder OR
  • Is an NZ Aid Programme student studying in New Zealand and receiving Official Development Assistance funding (or their partner or child under 18 years old) OR
  • Is participating in the Ministry of Education Foreign Language Teaching Assistantship scheme OR
  • Is a Commonwealth Scholarship holder studying in New Zealand and receiving funding from a New Zealand university under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Fund.

You can enrol any children in your care as long as they are 16 years of age or under. If they are over the age of 16, they will need to enrol themselves, unless you are their authorised representative or have Power of Attorney.

When you enrol you are asked to provide information such as age, sex, ethnicity. This information is protected by the medical ethics of confidentiality, the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994.

The information you give will be held by the medical centre, used by the Ministry of Health to update any changes, sent to the PHO and Ministry of Health to get subsidised funding on your behalf, and used to determine eligibility for publicly funded services. At the medical centre, members of the health team may add to your health record during any services provided to you and use that information to provide appropriate care. They may also send relevant health information to other health professionals who are directly involved in your care.

Choosing a medical centre that is right for you and your family is important. If you have any questions about enrolling with a Howick House Medical centre you can contact us here. For more information on visiting a doctor, you can go to this Ministry of Health page.

For this information and additional information about enrolment please see:

You can go to another medical centre or change to a new centre at any time.  If you are enrolled at one medical centre and visit another, you are considered a “casual” patient and you will pay a higher fee for that visit. You should enrol with the medical centre you will see most often. It is important you are happy with the services you receive from your medical centre and it is your personal choice what medical centre you enrol with.

If you enrol somewhere else, the change will be notified to the Ministry of Health, who will advise your previous medical centre that you have enrolled somewhere else. Your medical notes will be transferred electronically. Note that it can take up to three months for the transfer process to be completed and you might not be able to immediately access the benefits that come with being enrolled (such as cheaper doctor visits).

If you have not seen anyone from your medical centre in a three year period it is likely that the centre will contact you and ask if you wish to remain enrolled with them.  If you are not able to be contacted or do not respond, you could be made a casual patient and not receive the same subsidised rates when you visit. You can re-enrol with the same medical centre or another one at a later time if you choose to.

Yes, you can reach us at For all appointment bookings, ring reception or use the patient portal.

Yes, you can pay your account online.

For all online payments: ASB 12-3403-0010223-00

Please put your full name and/ or NHI number as reference.

  1. To be treated with respect
  2.  To be treated fairly
  3. To dignity and independence
  4. To receive good care and support that suits your needs
  5. To be told things in a way you understand
  6. To be told everything you need to know about your care and support
  7. To make choices about your care and support
  8. To have support
  9. To decide if you want to  be part of training, teaching or research
  10. To make a complaint

We realise there are times you may be dissatisfied with our services and we take your complaints seriously. Please contact our practice manager  on 09 535 8797 or write a letter to:

The Practice Manager
Howick House Medical
43 Moore St

In your letter please include details about your incident including date and time, personnel involved and a brief outline of the incident that occurred.

If you feel that your complaint constitutes serious medical misconduct then you may contact:

The Health and Disability Commissioner
PO Box 1799